Well more precisely, keeping and managing files locally is dead. In case you missed yesterday's post, I'm going through the contents of my backup drive from college. What surprises me is how in just four years we've gone from carrying everything around on our laptops and phones to simply using the cloud.
- 200 gigabytes of photos all stored and accessed online
- 100 gigabytes of ripped DVDs replaced by Netflix and online rentals. And Chromecast.
- 30 gigabytes of music replaced by a subscription
- My source code lives in GitHub
- My documents and presentations are all Google Docs
- My virtual machines are all remote
Anyone growing up today won't have any notion of files. They're just not important any more.